A Burner Lexicon is a catalog of words and phrases that are unique to the Burning Man subculture. Like any close-knit group, Burners create slang, in-jokes, and jargon peculiar to their community; these words may be obtuse to newcomers and outsiders. This project is an attempt to mitigate their confusion, with a little sprinkling of a Devil’s Dictionary For the Playa on top.
In the entries below, bold words are words which are defined in that particular entry. Words in italic are the subject of other lexicon entries, current or future. Words which are not defined in the lexicon but can be found elsewhere will appear as a normal link.
A Burner Lexicon was last updated in June 2012.
A Burner Lexicon
Lexicographer’s Note: The plugin which the lexicon depended on is broken. Until I find a replacement, click here to browse the lexicon.
About the Lexicon
- A Year of A Burner Lexicon
- Opinions and other thoughts on A Burner Lexicon
- Why I’m writing about Burning Man
Other Posts About Burning Man
- A lesson in the dust
- Book Review: The People of Burning Man
- Book Review: The Tribes of Burning Man
- Burning Flipside 2011
- The Story of a Theme Camp: Smack That Ass!
- Theme Camp: Zion Communal Kitchen & Hookah Lounge
- Why the fuck would I want to go to Burning Man?
If you’ve enjoyed the Lexicon, please consider making a small donation: