A Burner Lexicon: Shirt-cocking

Shirt-cocking art. Pyropolis, 2010. Photo by Stash.

Shirt-cocking, –verb, Shirt-cocking is when a man wears a t-shirt but but goes naked from the waist down. This practice is a natural outgrowth of Burning Man events which value “radical self-expression” but are held in clothing optional environments. Shirt-cocking has become one of the few genuine fashion faux pas in a community that otherwise turns a blind-eye (or a downright appreciative one) on all kinds of egregious peacock-like displays of one’s ability to combine neon colors and fun fur in new ways.

The potential offensiveness of a female counterpart to this behavior is still in question. When done by a woman, it is called Daisy Ducking.

Shirt-cocking was the subject of a somewhat heated debate recently in my local community. The controversy was made worse when an unidentified prankster made a whole bunch of signs supporting shirt-cocking, complete with ‘softpack’ dildos, and then left the signs behind as MOOP.

Thanks to Meat Popsicle for suggesting this entry and April Reign for input.

Other entries in A Burner Lexicon can be found at http://kitoconnell.com/lexicon/

Comments (10)

1. knowmad wrote:

BeverBlousing:
    The female equivelent to shirt cocking. also not ok.

Saturday, September 25, 2010 at 4:22 pm #
  2. Kit wrote:

There has been some discussion of this topic with other names suggested — Daisy ducking and shirt-cunting also. However, it is not received with the universal hatred that shirt-cocking is — and some people think certain looks on women (i.e. men’s button down formal shirt with nothing else) are actually sexy. Then we get into more complex territory like what about shirt-vesting?

Thanks for stopping by.

Saturday, September 25, 2010 at 6:17 pm #
  3. Kate wrote:

I BeaverBloused on the way to the porta johns a few times when waking up for the first time of the day. This was in an attempt to cover myself with the nearest item of clothing in my morning mental fog. Most days I just made the journey in a pair of shoes, I guess that is more appropriate?

Monday, September 27, 2010 at 4:01 pm #
  4. Kit wrote:

It’s all probably better than the time I groggily decided only sneakers and my purple tophat were the appropriate early morning porta-john attire…

Monday, September 27, 2010 at 4:04 pm #
  5. Geo wrote:

Cross-reference with DONALD DUCKING. When a woman does it while wearing a dildo, I’ve heard it called SKIRT-COCKING.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 4:52 pm #
  6. Andor wrote:

I prefer “blouse snatching.”

Friday, July 26, 2013 at 6:35 pm #
  7. I’ve been studying this phenomenon for several years and still find it perplexing. I could fuck a ham wearing a tutu with a horn shoved up my ass and that is all fine and good. But if I finish and take off the tutu, remove the horn and walk away wearing only a shirt I have somehow crossed some invisible line and committed an unpardonable sin? I don’t get it. Shirt-cockers are so despised that they are becoming extinct. I only found one in the wild last year and have since set up a preserve but shirt-cockers are harder to breed than pandas so i fear that they will soon go the way of the Dodo.

Friday, July 26, 2013 at 10:08 pm #
  8. Yeah Yeah wrote:

I’ve also known of this term as “blouse snatching”

Saturday, July 27, 2013 at 8:15 am #
  9. Lucky wrote:

There was a Camp that used to bring a canon for shooting rolled up pairs of pants at shirtcockers who happened to walk by….
    No wonder the shirtcockers are going extinct.

Saturday, July 27, 2013 at 12:16 pm #
  10. Big John wrote:

OMG! I cannot believe I am reading some of these opinionated postings from so called burners. Who gave you the right to judge anyone? It’s OK, It’s not OK? Not your journey, back off!

Sunday, July 28, 2013 at 9:02 am #

Trackbacks/Pingbacks (2)

1. [...] looks good and what looks ridiculous? But wait… what about this fashion trend found mostly at Burning Man? No pants = no [...]

2. Shirtcocking was mentioned on @cracked today (http://t.co/2sr1xMc) & the Lexicon’s getting extra traffic (http://t.co/l4A2z1E). Coincidence?